The Coronavirus COVID-19 is a new threat to health in the world today. While currently it is most prevalent in countries such as China, Iran and Italy, we are seeing cases appearing in most parts of the world. This is due to the easy worldwide movement of people and the fact that people may not know they are carrying the virus.
Coronaviruses are a large group of viruses causing varied health problems (respiratory, intestinal and nervous system) in humans and animals. Coronaviruses can infect a wide group of people ranging from the very young, even infants less than one year of age, to the very elderly.
The majority of healthy people survive a Coronavirus. However, for elderly people and immune compromised infected people, especially those who are suffering from chronic diseases such as diabetes, high blood pressure, kidney problems or cancer, there is a danger of serious illness and even death.
Human to human transmission of Coronavirus is reported in most cases because the Coronavirus replicates efficiently inside or outside the body. According to a doctor at the Yale School of Medicine, the current Coronavirus could be very difficult to treat & eradicate because it mutates very quickly thereby making it a different virus in every area.
COVID-19 is a novel virus (a virus that has not been seen before) that is spreading from person to person, rather than exclusively from animals or infected food, and can be transmitted in social, family and even hospital environments. It is closest to the Severe Acute Respiratory Syndrome (SARS)-related Coronavirus found in Chinese horseshoe bats.
Symptoms of common human Coronavirus include a runny nose, headache, cough, sore throat, fever and a general feeling of being unwell, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). Symptoms of the new Coronavirus COVID-19 can include fever, cough and shortness of breath.
The virus has an incubation period of up to 14 days, during which the virus can be contagious, but the patient does not display symptoms. That, the medical professionals say, allows the virus to be passed along from person to person. In fact, some people have a normal temperature, and some have mild symptoms, but are hidden carriers.
Unfortunately, there is still much that is unknown about the Coronavirus, including how long it can live outside of the host. It appears that the virus can last on surfaces and objects for days. It also appears that a person may be able to get the virus by touching an infected surface and then touching their own mouth, nose or possibly their eyes.
So, what can you do?
The CDC recommends the following:
- Clean your hands often – wash with soap and water for at least 20 seconds especially after you have been in a public place, or after blowing your nose, coughing or sneezing. If soap and water are not easily available then use a hand sanitizer that contains at least 60% alcohol.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick – put distance between yourself and other people if COVID-19 is spreading in your community. This is especially important for people who are at higher risk of getting very sick
- Stay home if you are sick, unless you are going out to get medical care
- Cover your mouth and nose with a tissue when you cough or sneeze, or use the inside of your elbow. Throw used tissues in the trash. Immediately wash your hands with soap and water after sneezing or coughing
- Wear a face mask if you are sick to minimize the risk of spreading the infection. If you are caring for someone who is sick and they are unable to wear a face mask, you should wear one.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched surfaces daily, such as tables, doorknobs, light switches, counter tops, handles, desks, phones, keyboards, toilets, faucets and sinks. Most common EPA-registered household disinfectants will work. Use disinfectants appropriate for the surface. If you are using alcohol, make sure it is at least 70% alcohol.
You can also take actions to improve your immune system so your body has the chance to handle bacteria and viruses that it might be exposed to.
There are many clinical studies that show the positive effects of Beta-Glucans to enhance the immune response against upper respiratory tract infections, virus and influenza type health challenges and their effects on the immune system.
Beta-Glucans have been studied for over 20 years for their favorable effects on humans. It is common knowledge in the scientific community that Beta-Glucans are known as the most powerful immune stimulant.
Beta-Glucans are naturally occurring polysaccharides. They are glucose (sugar) molecules produced by a variety of plants. These biologically active polysaccharides can increase immune defense by activating and enhancing the function of macrophages and natural killer cells (parts of the immune system.) As an immune stimulating agent, which acts through the activation of macrophages and natural killer cells, Beta-Glucans can inhibit viruses.
Beta-Glucans can increase human resistance to infections. Influenza viruses are the microorganisms, against which a protective effect of Beta-Glucans has been clearly established.
Beta-Glucan 1,3 & 1,6 form part of a group of natural biologically active materials generally recognized as immunomodulators or biological response modifiers (substances that stimulate the body’s response to infection and disease.) Their biological effects include enhancement of anti-infectious immunity and reduction of stress and systemic inflammation.
In summary, two recent studies showed that dietary Beta-Glucan supplementation can significantly reduce the effects of virus and influenza infection with lower mortality. Additionally, it will lead to a lower viral load in many organs.
People supplementing with Beta-Glucans over a 16-week period benefit by a reduced severity of physical symptoms from viruses even during the first week.
The evidence indicates that Beta-Glucans support the human immune function to defend against pathogens (organisms capable of causing disease) in the upper respiratory tract to help prevent as well as defend against Coronaviruses.
Qgenic’s Immune Defense is 70% pure 1,3 & 1,6 Beta-Glucans derived from the cell wall of baker’s yeast to provide optimal immune strengthening effects to support and protect against pathogens such as the Coronaviruses.